The threshold stone is also called the gate stone, which refers to a stone used to divide different materials or distinguish different functions. It is generally used for the connection position of two spaces and is often found at the door of the room.
Today, let’s talk about whether it is necessary to use the threshold stone in the process of home improvement? In which cases it is better to use it, and how to choose and match the color is better.
What is the use of the threshold stone?
01. Visual transition. A transition between two different materials.
For example, floor tiles are laid in the living room and floors are laid in the bedroom. Generally, the position of the door of the bedroom will be connected with the threshold stone, mainly because the construction of the closing is relatively simple.
02. Correct the height difference. The ground heights of the two spaces are different.
For example, there is a height difference between the two spaces where the floor is laid and the floor tiles are laid. This problem is not considered in advance, or in order to save costs, a slope or chamfering of the threshold stone can be a good solution to this height difference problem.
03. Good water-retaining effect. The water-retaining effect of the threshold stone is mainly manifested in the kitchen and bathroom space.
In general, the kitchen and bathroom floors are lower than other spaces in order to prevent water from flowing to the outside. It can have a certain anti-overflow effect on the water in the bathroom.
There is a problem when there is a lot of water in the kitchen and bathroom, the water will penetrate from the side to the bottom of the room floor. There is no waterproofing in the room, and the floor tiles are only smooth and glazed on the front. The water that penetrates through the side of the floor tiles will cause the floor to become moldy and warp or even return to the floor.
Solution. The threshold stone has been waterproofed on both the front and the side, which can effectively protect the exposed side of the floor tiles at the junction of the door, and play an anti-penetration and water-retaining effect.
Do you want to do the water stop? Some students may know about the threshold stone, but they are probably very unfamiliar with the water-stopping cabinet. What is a water stop? A water stop is simply a raised platform slightly above the ground. A platform higher than the ground (1~2cm) is “built” with a waterproof slurry as a water stop, which can achieve double insurance and waterproofing.
The threshold stone separates the floor tiles from the floor, which can play a good role in retaining water and preventing penetration. However, under the threshold stone, water may still penetrate through, and a water stop can solve this problem. Make the water stop first, and then make the threshold stone. After the water stop is done, brush it with waterproofing, and then cover the threshold stone. As long as you don’t raise fish in the bathroom, there is no problem.
Threshold Stone construction steps
01. Make a water stop. The water stop can be built with cement mortar or waterproof mortar. It can be 1~2cm higher than the ground. If it is too high, there will be a significant height difference on the threshold stone.
02. Inverted U-shaped threshold stone. There are two types of threshold stones, one-line, and inverted U-shaped. Remember to choose an inverted U-shaped threshold stone so that it can fit with the water stop and play a role in preventing water seepage.
03. Make the threshold first, then make the door cover. The installation sequence of the door cover and the door threshold is, first the door threshold and then the door cover. The door threshold should be in complete contact with both ends of the left and right walls, and the door cover is placed on the threshold instead of directly touching the ground. Without this, there is no guarantee that water will seep out of the door pocket.
04. Sealing glass glue. After the water stop, threshold stone and door cover are all completed, all joints and gaps should be sealed with glass glue.
How to choose this stone? Be sure to choose natural stone, the thickness and hardness of artificial stone cannot meet the requirements. There are two common natural stone materials used as threshold stones, marble, and granite.
Threshold Stone marble
Advantages: The mineral composition is simple and easy to process, the texture is fine, and the visual effect is good
Disadvantages: It is easy to be damaged by the impact of hard and heavy objects, and the light-colored texture has poor stain resistance
Threshold Stone granite
Granite has no colored stripe texture, only colored dotted texture or solid color texture.
To sum up, in one sentence, granite with wear-resistant and hard texture is suitable for pragmatists, and marble with fine texture and rich colors is suitable for beauty lovers.
Threshold Stone Choice of stone shades
“Minimize presence” is the color selection principle.
The threshold stone is the transition between the two spaces. If the color is not chosen properly, it will be very “obvious”.
The color is slightly darker than that of the floor and floor tiles, and the visual effect is better. Of course, don’t “black into a lump” like the black and golden color system.
Threshold Stone texture pattern
The choice of stone patterns and textures is affected by subjective factors just like picking clothes.
There are two kinds of stone stripe texture, horizontal stripe, and vertical stripe, and the visual difference between the two is large. Be sure to communicate with the manufacturer in advance.
Threshold Stone thickness
This is a rigid requirement, the thickness must be ≥14mm.
If it can’t reach this thickness, let alone daily use, there is also the possibility of breakage during installation.
Threshold stone size
The length follows the door opening, and the width follows the wall.
The length is determined by the width of the door opening (about 75~85cm), and the width is determined by the thickness of the wall.
To make a door cover, the width of the threshold stone needs to be +2cm above the wall thickness, and these two centimeters are the normal thickness of the door cover.